Semalt: Blocking A Site On Your Computer Or Android Phone
Whether you are protecting your child or hiding the personal information, there are some ways to block unwanted sites from your computer or mobile device. A lot of people are concerned about their online privacy and want to block certain websites to ensure their and their children's complete safety. Some websites may contain and spread viruses, malware, and bots. There are chances that they will also contain annoying content or someone could steal your private information. Of course, you can avoid those sites, but that isn't the permanent option, and you have to take serious measures too.
Block a Website on the Windows Computers:
Max Bell, the Semalt Customer Success Manager, states that there are a number of ways to block a website, and you can select the method based on your browser, your network router, and the entire operating system. A major backbone of the Internet is the DNS system translating simple and easy to remember names such as www.google.com and IP addresses. While you are using the DNS server to get to the sites, your computer will have something known as the Hosts file. This file is used for disabling access to suspicious sites. The following method is effective both for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users:
- You need to access the administrator section of your computer and sign in using your username and password, and then go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
- Click on file titled as hosts and choose the Notepad from a list of programs. Click on the Ok button and edit the file.
- At the end of this file, you will have to insert the URLs you may want to block. For this, you can add a few lines at the end of this file, with 127.0.0.2. Then you have to write the name of the website and get it blocked.
Block a site on your Android phone:
For an Android user, there are a few tips and things to remember. If you have the rooted phone, for example, you can easily block the sites by editing the Hosts file on the device and direct the hackers to some other web pages. For this, you will need the file manager and the text editor. The best option is to use ES File Explorer, which lets us perform multiple tasks at the same time.
- Install the ES File Explorer and tap a menu button at the top.
- In the system folder, you can see the file named as Hosts. You have to tap it and go to the pop-up menu. Here you have to reach the ES Note Editor option.
- Tap that edit button and edit the file. Here you will have to write the URLs and names of the site you want to block.
- Don't forget to redirect their DNS, and type 127.0.0.2 www.blockedwebsites.com in the new line.
- Reboot the Android phone once you have done the above things
If you feel that this method is quite complex, you should install the antivirus apps such as Trend Micro that will let you block the suspicious websites automatically. You simply have to install this app and activate it. Go to the Options > Safe area and swipe to the Parental Controls. Here you have to click and set up an account. Once the account is created, you can name it as Blocked Lists in your app and add the websites you may want to block at a time.